What is crackin’ my amigos? Feels like a long time since I posted one of these bad boys. Yet, aside from the purchase of these Shoes of the Gods and an official Hannah Montana tour t-shirt (courtesy of Goodwill) my life is pretty much the same. Yes, I am still counting down every second leading up to my move to Italy, but I am managing to kill the time by meticulously planning my first-ever trip to DisneyWorld next weekend! Details most certainly to follow. For now, enjoy some linkage:
by Caitlin Shearer.
- This read about the life/work/ethics of a professional photo re-toucher is very interesting. The writer seems almost numb to the point of being un-biased in regards to the mass Photoshopping that goes on in modern media. Yet, do you think any of the points he presents are truly valid? Should we continue to ask the media to present more realistic images?
- “Jane Austen Geek” definitely should have been an option on that flowchart, non? For all of you Austen addicts, enjoy “Jane Austen’s World.”
- I don’t care what you think, I adore Yoko Ono. I think she is one of the most genuine human beings and I admire her endless strength and passion. If you hate on her, just read “25 Things Even My Best Friends Didn’t Know Until Now” and then tell me you don’t want to give her a hug.
- Want one simply way to make your life infinitely more awesome? Learn how to win rock, paper, scissors every time.
- Are you happy?
In just a few days, the opening ceremony for the 2012 London Olympics will commence. That means watching incredible feats of skill, speed, and precision, as well as an excess of McDonald’s commercials. Still, there’s something slightly magical about the Olympic games. And that might just be the fact that a man named Magic Johnson competes, but I’m not so sure.
Regardless of whether you’re an Olympic nut or an all-out Olympic-Hater (gasp!), it’s all you’re going to be hearing about for the next month of your life, so read up here!
- Explore London via flickr. I’ve never been, but it seems like a city with such a multilayered personality of warmth, tradition, and creativity.
- Now that’s all well and good, but it’s time for the cold, hard facts. The New York Times has a media page that is ready for action. Bookmark it for the latest coverage (if you trust that liberal New York riff-raff that is!).
- Want to have a little “eff yeah!” moment? Check out this article about the 14 Openly Gay Athletes of the 2012 Olympics.
- If that wasn’t enough to get you excited, the Spice Girls will be performing at the closing ceremony. Time to dig out that old VHS recording of Spice World and brush up on my moves.
- Is it weird to say Jon Stewart is a dreamboat? OH WELL.
- Naturally one of London’s finest had their take on this year’s games: check out the two new Banksy pieces that were spotted recently.
- The London Olympics aren’t the only games going down. Diary of a Vintage Girl enlightens us to “The Other Olympics” over at her blog. Needless to say, the official uniforms aren’t nearly as dapper.
- Speaking of wicked cool ladies, this year marks the first Olympic games that will feature at least one female representative from each country. Woo hoo! Read more about Women at the Olympics here.
- Check how one kickass Olympian is dealing with the haterzzz.
- Quick, name an unholy abomination that couldn’t possibly exist but does! Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered: The Hipster Olympics.
- If all of this Olympic excitement is making you want to throw an awesome party to celebrate and catch that Spice Girls performance I mentioned earlier, BuzzFeed has got you covered: 52 Tips for Throwing an Amazing Olympic Party. Invite me! I want that cake!
Well hello there, world! I feel like I haven’t been around much this past week…I’ve been so crazy-busy! But I say that every time, don’t I?
I hosted the first meeting of the Kate Foo Book Club on Sunday night, and I think it went swimmingly. You know you are an internet success when trolls consider you a good use of their time, and our troll quota was most definitely filled. If any of you were there, I would love to hear your feedback!
Admittedly, this is going to be another crazy week…But I do have some fabulous posts in the works that I hope to share with you in the near future! Is there anything you’d love to read?
All right, enough of my blabbering…on to the links!
- If you a.) are from the internet and b.) need to kill some time, then THIS GAME is for you!
- You’ve probably heard, but for those of you that haven’t, fashion house Louis Vuitton and Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama are collaborating! The Louis Vuitton website has an absolutely wonderful homage to Kusama, as well as more information about the line. (yay!)
- Absolutely redonkulous Jazzercize clips. There is no way anyone could ever be prepared to watch these.
Happy Fourth of July!
For those of you who are not aware, this is a special holiday where Americans do what they do best: grill things and blow stuff up. And for those of you who are aware…LET’S DO THIS THING!
Hellooooooooooooo! and welcome to Wednesdays Suck: Volume the 10th. This past week has consisted primarily of me sleeping for 10 hours, rolling out of bed for work, coming home and sleeping some more. This isn’t particularly exciting, n’est pas? I hope your week has been a little more exciting–I know I’m trying to plan some rad stuff for the near future (which may or may not include a day at a shooting range, getting a tattoo, or perhaps a scintillating camping trip to rural Pennsylvania).
- This really wouldn’t be a Kate Foo post without a link to cute pictures of animals. Courtesy of BuzzFeed: Pictures of the Fattest Birds in the World. Hey, maybe they’re just big-plumaged.
- If you’re a photography buff, or a lover of beautiful pictures in general, you need to bookmark The Photodiarist NOW. I’d love if you shared some of your favorite pictures with me!
- I am sensing a theme here…”Before & After D-Day: Rare Color Photos” Restored WWII photos always have such a strange feeling to them, don’t you think?
- Oh, and they are making my favorite book into a movie…