In just a few days, the opening ceremony for the 2012 London Olympics will commence. That means watching incredible feats of skill, speed, and precision, as well as an excess of McDonald’s commercials. Still, there’s something slightly magical about the Olympic games. And that might just be the fact that a man named Magic Johnson competes, but I’m not so sure.
Regardless of whether you’re an Olympic nut or an all-out Olympic-Hater (gasp!), it’s all you’re going to be hearing about for the next month of your life, so read up here!
- Explore London via flickr. I’ve never been, but it seems like a city with such a multilayered personality of warmth, tradition, and creativity.
- Now that’s all well and good, but it’s time for the cold, hard facts. The New York Times has a media page that is ready for action. Bookmark it for the latest coverage (if you trust that liberal New York riff-raff that is!).
- Want to have a little “eff yeah!” moment? Check out this article about the 14 Openly Gay Athletes of the 2012 Olympics.
- If that wasn’t enough to get you excited, the Spice Girls will be performing at the closing ceremony. Time to dig out that old VHS recording of Spice World and brush up on my moves.
- Is it weird to say Jon Stewart is a dreamboat? OH WELL.
- Naturally one of London’s finest had their take on this year’s games: check out the two new Banksy pieces that were spotted recently.
- The London Olympics aren’t the only games going down. Diary of a Vintage Girl enlightens us to “The Other Olympics” over at her blog. Needless to say, the official uniforms aren’t nearly as dapper.
- Speaking of wicked cool ladies, this year marks the first Olympic games that will feature at least one female representative from each country. Woo hoo! Read more about Women at the Olympics here.
- Check how one kickass Olympian is dealing with the haterzzz.
- Quick, name an unholy abomination that couldn’t possibly exist but does! Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered: The Hipster Olympics.
- If all of this Olympic excitement is making you want to throw an awesome party to celebrate and catch that Spice Girls performance I mentioned earlier, BuzzFeed has got you covered: 52 Tips for Throwing an Amazing Olympic Party. Invite me! I want that cake!