It’s been unbearably, excruciatingly hot lately. When it’s so sticky, it’s hard to find the motivation to do anything. Hell, I’ve been using my kitchen floor as my desk. I nearly forgot to put on pants when the mailman rang the bell the other day. Most of my meals have consisted of cold cereal. You get the picture. Here are a few ideas that beat watching Cheers re-runs or sitting in front of an open freezer.
- Pick up a newspaper one day and read it from front to back. Head to a restaurant or bar and talk to anyone who will listen about what you read.
- You know what lovely place with air conditioning to rival the grocery store? An art museum. After work, take a stroll through a gallery and really look at the art. Pick the most ridiculous “I could make that with my eyes closed!” piece and for once, honestly consider the meaning behind it.
- I think everyone should have a trademark. I have a Vivienne Westwood ring I invested in, and I wear it every day. Whether it’s a beautiful bag or a killer collection of bowties, what would yours be? Take a few minutes to think about a style staple you want to incorporate. Maybe even start saving for that necklace or sportcoat, non?
- Start a private tumblr exclusively for posting/re-blogging pictures that inspire you and push you towards your goals. It can be part journal, part record book, part motivation board. As long as it’s 100% for you!
- See a movie you would normally roll your eyes at the thought of spending $8.00 on. Or maybe you secretly thought it looked fabulous, but you know all of your friends have too big of a stick up their ass to acknowledge its existence and go with you? Go anyway! Exhibit A: I saw the Katy Perry movie at midnight the other night and I am now proclaiming it to the internet: It was wonderful.
- When all else fails, buy a blow-up kiddie pool, set it up wherever you have the space, and enjoy the satisfaction that anyone side-eying you is not enjoying the life of luxury.